Wednesday, June 6, 2007

October 16, 1934

C--

Why you aint come like you said you would last night. Why you aint come. I waited in the barn til way past midnite up in the hayloft, there wont enough light to see my watch by but it was after 3 when I clumb down the ladder and left be cause I heard the courthouse bell in town ring. I waited even tho I was cold, be cause I knew once you came and I was holding you close we would be warm enouf to stand the chill. Frost might come and we would not pay it no mind. With us lieing so close together. With our bodies pushed together close. With our hands in one anothers. With our breath on each others skins. I knew we would warm each other but you aint come and the chill got to me in that cold damp hay and so I lef. Must of been 2 I thout I heard footsteps and I thout it was you but it wont nobody, old Mr. Shelton maybe or a deer. But not you. Not you.

And then to day you pass me strate by on Main Street without so much as look at me. You walk strate by me into Aubreys like I wont even there. Your eyes that are customed to laugh and dance when we are with one another like stone, and your town hat on your head and your bag held close and your hands that have touched the most secret place in white gloves. Walk strate by and the glass door of the store swung shut behind you. But your dauter looked at me as she was going in behind you. Yes she did. I seen how her eyes looked me over, up and down, up and down. She has the fast eye. And I thout if one wont another will. If one wont another will. Maybe since you wont come your dauter will and how would you like that. All I have to do is look at her the right way and she will come to me, that I know. And how would you like that.

But I dont want your dauter I wont you come tonight promise you will or else I dont know what Ill do. Tonight. Dont say no. Dont be late. Come up the later and wear your stockings so I can hear the sound they make as they come off the ssss as they peel down your leg. Just come. Just come

T

No comments: